Portugal - SOLD OUT
Endless Travel Literary Tour
April 23 - May 4, 2019
Endless Travel Literary Tours is delighted to invite you on our custom trip with Globus Journeys to beautiful Portugal.
Our trip starts in Lisbon, Portugal’s sunny coastal city with its seven hills and medieval castles and called “Europe’s hottest capital.” It is the closest European hub for Americans and has a trendy food scene. Add that to the rest of Portugal’s history, seafaring culture, wine and port, traditional music, bookstores, art, sacred religious sites, ocean-front beauty, castles, great shopping (filigree jewelry and hand-painted tiles!), genuinely friendly people … and what’s not to LOVE?!!!
- Welcome Dinner with Fado Music, evening scenic cruise on the Douro River, dinner at Forno da Mimi restaurant, local Portuguese dinner, olive oil and tapa tasting, and Farewell Dinner at Varanda restaurant in Lisbon.
- Visits to:
- Alfama – popular quarter of seamen and to Fado Singers
- Casa dos Bicos – House dedicated our must-read Portuguese writer, José Saramago (Nobel Prize for Literature in 1998)
- Jeronimos Monastery – built in the 16th century and now regarded as Lisbon’s most important landmark. It is traditional for Portuguese seafarers to pray in the chapel before their departure.
- Livraria Bertrand – oldest bookstore in the world
- Medieval Óbidos
- Fatima’s Sanctuary of Our Lady of the Rosary – Portugal’s hallowed national shrine and a pilgrimage site where apparitions of the Virgin Mary were reported by 3 local children in 1917
- Roman Ruins of Conimbriga
- Sandeman & Co. Port Wine Cellar
- Livrario Lello – “the most beautiful bookstore in the world” and said to have been the inspiration for J. K. Rowling for the famous moving staircase in Harry Potter
- Serralves Museum of Contemporary Art
- Quinta da Aveleda Winery
- Jewish Museum in Belmonte
- Cork Factory
- Evora’s historic center and a UNESCO World Heritage Site: Roman Temple, Cathedral, Sao Francisco Church, Ossuary Chapel (its walls are covered with thousands of human bones and skulls!)
- Promontory of Sagres in Algarve. Algarve is Portugal’s most popular vacation area!
- Tile Workshop in Azeitao
- 10 nights’ accommodations; 10 breakfasts; 6 dinners
- Visits with English-speaking local guide
- Entrance fees as per itinerary
- Modern air-conditioned local coach for visits and excursions; free Wi-Fi on motorcoach
- 4-star hotels
- One group airport transfer on arrival and departure
- Price quoted is per person, double occupancy. Single rates available. Private bath or shower.
- Hotel taxes, service charges, state and local taxes, porterage service for one piece of luggage per person, tips to baggage porters and hotel staff
- Custom Book Recommendations List and Book Talks led by Endless Travel Hosts Susan and Linda
- Plenty of FREE TIME to discover Portugal!
This tour is open to women and men! Bring your favorite travel buddy!